Leader/Volunteer Screening & Registration
Volunteer training and screening processes are designed to create and maintain a safe environment for all. 4-H Nova Scotia has a moral and legal responsibility to screen all volunteers to help protect members, volunteers and the organization as a whole.
Forms and Downloads
All of the forms below must be completed as part of the leader application process. If you have any questions or issues, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 902.843.3990
- NEW LEADERS - The screening package should include your registration form, Criminal Records Check (including vulnerable sector), Child Abuse Registry Check and three references. If needed, you may send in documents as they are completed. You do not need to save and send them at one time. References may send the completed form directly to our office.
- RENEWING LEADERS - The screening package should include your registration form, Criminal Records Check (including vulnerable sector) and Child Abuse Registry Check.
- There is a renewal date on each leader card and you are now required to be screened every five years. There are still some that will have a three-year expiry date, so please be sure to check your card for expiry. The term of screening was changed at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) in 2015. Cards will now be laminated.
- Once the expiry date has passed, you are no longer a screened leader. It is important you begin the rescreening process two months prior to the date of expiry. This will avoid periods where your screening has lapsed and will allow for a smooth transition from one screening period to the next.
- Please ensure Criminal Record Check (CRC) and Child Abuse Registry (CAR) are completed within a 6 month period. If the required forms (CRC) and (CAR) are not within that timeframe, you will be required to get an updated version of the oldest form. If you are required to get fingerprints and the process is delayed, please contact our office.
- To complete the Police Record Check, you will need to go to your local RCMP/town police station and have a Criminal Records Check done. Please ensure that you take the CRC letter, one piece of Photo ID (driver's license or provincial photo ID) and one other piece of identification (birth certificate, passport, health card, etc.). Be aware that some detachments may charge you for this service. This cost is not covered by 4-H NS.
- To complete the Child Abuse Register check please complete the Child Abuse Register Request for Search (Form A). Please ensure that you attach a photocopy of your driver's license with picture ID and health card, and mail the form to: Private and Confidential, Child Abuse Register, Department of Community Services, PO Box 696, Halifax, NS, B3J 2T7. When you receive a reply letter, please enclose the reply letter (embossed original) with the remainder of your application package.
- We must receive the original copy of your Child Abuse Registry check. You will receive it in the mail and then need to forward it to our office. We cannot accept copies, scans or fax.
- IMPORTANT! Please note: Until the screening process is complete you are NOT permitted to meet with 4-H members without a screened 4-H NS Leader present at all times. The process must be completed within six months of registration or you will NOT be permitted to meet with members as a leader under any circumstances until the process is complete. If you are delayed by fingerprints or another reason, please contact our office.
- IMPORTANT! Please note: If potential leaders do not complete the screening process, you will receive a reminder via email or call, a letter of reminder and then a letter to inform you that you are not permitted to represent 4-H in a leadership role.